Superior lean gain, meat quality, durability
When it comes to performance and profitability, the Waldo Duroc has a rock-solid record of field-proven results. With nearly 120 years of continuous improvement and genetic advancements behind it, the Waldo Duroc has what it takes to drive the future of your business.
A steady, high performer
The Waldo Duroc has been selected for fast growth and ruggedness. This means more pigs born make it to market at full value and in less time than other breeds.
- Proven growth rates – Pigs grow fast all the way through finish, with fewer days on feed to reach market weight.
- Increased carcass yields – High growth is one thing, but Waldo Durocs are also lean, allowing for more pounds of pork sold.
- High survivability – Waldo Duroc progeny are born bigger, thriftier, more vigorous, and they have a will to live like no others.
- Feed efficient – Pigs efficiently convert feed to gain, getting them off to market sooner on less feed.
Genetic attributes you need
- Successful on female lines in all environments
- Unmatched uniformity, with potential for less than 1% light butchers
- AI boars are trait-selected for maximum results
Waldo Terminal Sire Index (TSI) is consistently the nation’s highest.
TSI is an economic calculation that puts a value to a genetic line, considering percent lean, growth rate, feed efficiency, carcass value and building costs. Each TSI point above the average equals approximately 14¢ additional profit per pig.
$4.20 is the additional profit per pig expected, since Waldo Durocs currently score 30 points above the industry TSI average.
Waldo sired pigs achieved an average daily gain of 1.95 to 2.15 lbs/day during the finishing phase in a large commercial system, with low mortality and a high percentage of full-value pigs (less than 0.75% lights and culls).
In a side-by-side trial against company lines, Waldo Duroc-sired pigs achieved an exceptional 98.97% survival rate across six different finish groups totaling 4,763 head.